Who is the florist?
It takes more than an interest in flowers to become a florist
If you currently have a professional job and want to change your profession to do something you like, why not? Doing something you love and make money out of it, what more could you ask for?
If you want satisfaction in your work, having a career as a florist can give you that.
Two, you get satisfaction when you use your creativity and create an arrangement.One, you touch people’s emotions with flowers. Your flowers are there whenever they celebrate the important moments in their lives.
If you already have a hobby of flower arranging and wants to become a florist professionally. Other than the practicing your skills, you have to know management as well to become a florist.
Now, you know why you want to be a florist? What are the requirements?
Requirements to Become a Florist
- First and foremost, you have to have an interest in flowers. If you do, nothing in your course of work as a florist will make you feel that it is a job.
- You have to have creativity in arranging flowers. Anyone can arrange flowers to make a bouquet but how is your bouquet different from the other florists? Customers want quality and exclusive designs. Everyone wants to feel special.
- You have to have good colour coordination. Your design is creative but with bad colour combination, the whole arrangement looks bad. Beautiful colours and original design makes a sellable flower arrangement.
- A florist needs to have a good personality. A pleasant personality. She needs to portray herself as someone approachable.
- A florist also must be able to read a customer’s mind. You should know what to offer her. These are the skills of sell something. This skill is essential to a florist, too.
- Last but not least, you also must understand the urgency if a customer requests it. If the customer orders at the very last minute, you must understand the urgency of the situation and keep the dateline.
When you become a florist, you also must understand what your responsibilities are…
Responsibilities as a Florist
- Unpacking of stock when the shipment arrives.
- Conditioning the flowers.
- Watering the plants.
- Label pricing of products.
- Attend to customers who walk-in, who contact through phone and website.
- Take orders accurately.
- Maintain the cleanliness and attractiveness of the shop.
- Managing money that goes in and out.
- Making arrangements to sell and display at the shop.
These are some of the main responsibilities as a florist. If you are up for it, check out where you can study to become a florist.
The flower industry is gaining more and more popular each year. Take this opportunity and be part of it. Become a florist. Do something that you actually like.
Where to study flower arrangement
In order to learn floristry, you need to enroll into a floral design school. But how do you choose a good floral design school?
Another alternative for you, if you do not want to spend thousands of dollars on floral courses, you can always get flower arrangement books that will teach you about floral design.
You can learn all the things a floral designer needs to know. From colour basics, right up to designing for weddings and holidays.
For retail flower shop owner wannabes, the best experiences are gain by working in one first.
The tools florists use…With 2 to 3 years experiences, you would have work through the yearly peak seasons of Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Chinese New Year etc…you would be better prepare as to face the chaos of these festive periods.
As a florist, you need florist tools and supplies to make your flower arrangement work easier. Find out what are the tools you need.Apart from tools, as a florist, you need material supplies like ribbons, balloons, etc. Find out what other floral wholesale supplies you need.
I hope this article help the florist in you.